The saying “I didn’t say that coming” has great significance when it comes to vision problems. Many eye and vision issues have no signs or symptoms, so people are frequently unaware there’s a problem until their sight begins to diminish. Annual comprehensive eye exams are key to maintaining good vision and healthy eyes.
But there are more reasons beyond preventative care. Many eye exams for seniors usually include a variety of small tests that help look for potential eye diseases.
What Happens During an Eye Exam?
During your eye exam, your eye doctor does much more than simply determine your eyeglasses or contact lens prescription. They check for common eye diseases and evaluate your overall health through symptomatic problem within or near your eyes. Some tests you’ll experience during your eye exams include:
- Visual Acuity This test evaluates how clearly each eye is seeing. Reading charts are frequently used during this test.
- Preliminary Test These can include evaluations of depth perception, peripheral or side vision, eye muscle movements, color vision, and how pupils react to light.
- Keratometry In this test, a circle of light will focus on your cornea to measure its reflection. This test tells your optometrist the curvature of the cornea.
- Refraction This determines the lens power you need to compensate for nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatism.
- Eye Focusing Your eye doctor will be able to evaluate how well your eyes move and work together.
Who Needs an Annual Eye Exam?
Everyone! Even if you have good vision, annual eye exams are recommended for all ages. Adult eye exams can help you stay current with your prescription and help your eye doctors detect any eye diseases or vision problems.
Even if your vision is excellent, it’s important to get your eyes checked. Just like a yearly physical, an annual eye check-up for those with healthy eyes creates a history of your eye health. Plus a check-up can help reveal issues you may not yet be aware. Preventative care is frequently the best care – especially when it comes to our eyes!
Keeping your eyes healthy is essential to being able to continue a full lifestyle at every age. ASBA is here to help! Our Vision Plan provides comprehensive annual checkups, big savings on glasses and contact lenses, and more! Sign up for a Vision Plan today.