New Year’s resolutions frequently revolve around increasing your health or your wealth. Want a resolution that benefits both? By committing to making 2022 the year you focus on your dental care, you’ll create a win-win for your oral health and financial situation. After all, the best way to solve expensive dental issues is by avoiding them in the first place!
A Good Dental Routine Is Easier Than You Think
The foundation of your oral care starts with the basics:
- Gently brushing your teeth for two minutes 2x a day using a fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush to prevent damaging your enamel.
- Thoroughly cleaning between your teeth once a day by flossing or using an interdental toothbrush.
- Using mouthwash or an antiseptic mouth rinse after brushing.
There are also a few more important steps to take to take care of your oral health.
Healthier Dietary Choices
A healthy smile starts with a healthy diet. What you eat can become bacteria in your mouth and potentially contribute to cavities, gum disease, and other health conditions.
Some ways to achieve a healthier diet include:
- Limiting how often you eat and drink sugary or acidic foods and beverages.
- Cutting back on snacking between meals.
- Enjoying a glass of water after meals or sugary drinks to rinse your mouth.
- Eating fruits, vegetables, and other items packed with nutrients.
- Avoid excessive alcohol consumption that can cause dry mouth
Dental Restorations and Orthodontics
Taking care of any dental issues you now have will help prevent them from getting worse down the road. These issues can include any dental problems from a damaged tooth or cavity to even an incorrect bite line. Your dental professional can recommend the appropriate solution to potentially treat the underlying cause of your concern, prevent future problems, and improve your smile’s appearance at the same time!
Routine Dental Visits
And along with your at-home routine, there isn’t anything more important than routine dental check-ups. Visiting your dental professional at least twice a year will help ensure that no dental issues go unnoticed or worsen to something more serious. A small cost of maintenance and regular visits upfront will help prevent issues that can be far more expensive in the long run.
Making a New Year’s resolution to enhance your health is always a great idea. ASBA can help make your check-ups more enjoyable and less costly with Dental Plans that provide excellent coverage on routine cleanings, oral exams, and x-rays and a wide range of procedures like fillings and periodontal work. Sign up now.